Why you should eat 5 a day
Eating healthy food is an important part of maintaining good health and can help you feel your best. Fruits and vegetables give us lots of important nutrients, like fibre and vitamins. Five portions of fruit and vegetables a day help to keep your body healthy.
There are lots of fruit and vegetables to choose from and you’re bound to find something that you like. You could help choose the fruit and vegetables that you would like to try when you go shopping with your parent/carer. There are also lots of different ways to eat fruit and vegetables.
Top tips on eating 5 a day
- A child’s portion of fruit or vegetables is roughly what you can fit into your cupped hand
- Sprinkle a handful of berries or chopped banana over your breakfast
- Canned, dried and frozen fruit and vegetables still count towards your 5 a day
- Fruit and vegetables still count when they are mixed with other foods for example in a pasta sauce
- Fruit juice, beans and baked beans count towards your 5 a day
- Try a new fruit and vegetable each week.