A practical introduction to implementing a whole school approach (WSA)
- Devise an effective strategic plan, aligned to the eight Whole School Approach principles.
- Assess and monitor need, and identify appropriate interventions using evidence-based tools and feedback to measure outcomes.
- Ensure strong and lasting whole school engagement by adopting effective strategies and holistic approaches.
Senior Mental Health Lead Training with Compass is built on our decades of experience as a charity dedicated to the mental health and wellbeing of children and young people.
We are one of the leading charities in England providing Mental Health Support Teams in schools and colleges with services across the country supporting thousands of students in education settings.
Our course is:
- Assured for DfE grant funding, to cover the entire £795* course cost and contribute to teaching cover
- CPD approved
- Delivered online or face to face* to small cohorts of 4-8 delegates
- Designed for beginners – senior mental health leads who are new to the role or have not previously completed senior mental health leadership training
- Completed within six weeks – consisting of 2 six-hour days, 1 hour consultation and self-paced action planning
- Practical – drawing on our experience of what works, through delivering services that support the development of whole school approaches and provide interventions to pupils with low to moderate mental health needs.
* We can deliver face to face training across most of England, trainer travel expenses will be added to the course cost. Please email email@example.com for face to face training enquires.
Feedback from delegates
“A great 2 day start. Felt the chunking down of the audit tool action planning was a great help and avoided feeling overwhelmed…”
“…by the end of the course [I was] very confident and looking forward to putting actions in to place to discuss in our 1-1 in the next 6 weeks.”
“It was extremely motivating Thank you so much – loved the two days.”
“… a high quality CPD. “
“Can’t wait to make progress with things back in school.”
“I now feel confident to tackle the audit tool/action plan.”
“I will be recommending this course to our cluster schools. Thank you.”
- £795 (+ Travel Expenses for face to face delivery)
Who it’s for
- Beginners and newly appointed Senior Leads or those with no previous mental health leadership training
- Senior Leads in primary and secondary schools and colleges including special schools and Alternative Provision
Your learning outcomes
- Awareness of the key roles and responsibilities needed within your educational environment
- Understanding of how to embed approaches that identify and respond to pupil’s / student’s mental health
- Knowledge of the key actions needed to embed emotional health and wellbeing change
- Knowledge of how to create healthy environments
- Awareness of the solutions to barriers within the workforce
- Understanding of mental health policy and procedure
Read more here about your learning outcomes.
- 2 days + 1 hour consultation)
- Completed over six weeks
- Ongoing community in practice peer networking webinars
Our training style
- Online or face to face delivery
- Interactive discussion
- Group activity
- Review and reflection
- Action planning
We deliver with confidence
The course is founded in our prevention and early intervention approach. It builds on our many years’ experience of supporting schools and colleges to improve their pupil, student and staff mental health and wellbeing through low cost or no cost approaches.
Compass delivers a number of services, such as Compass GO…, Compass Be, West and Central Lancashire MHSTs, and Compass Phoenix in North Yorkshire that support the development of whole school approaches and provide interventions to pupils with low to moderate mental health needs.
Our charity has experience of implementing the whole school approach across nearly 400 schools in North Yorkshire over the past four years, with commissioners expressing that our experienced and dedicated workers have successfully implemented “cultural shift”.
We are experienced in training, through many of our services and successfully running our training and consultancy arm, Positive Effect.
“We wanted something that was innovative and responsive to local needs and we found that in the third sector. Compass has demonstrated that in a number of ways over the years.”Lorna Galdas, Senior Commissioning Officer at NHS North Yorkshire CCG