RECOVERY MAINTENANCE GROUP- Compass Harrow
Recovery Maintenance is a six-week rolling group work programme for service users who want to address their alcohol/drug using behaviour.
Compass Harrow has recently implemented this group and during the six weeks, service users have had an opportunity to:
- Explore their readiness to change alcohol/drug using behaviour,
- Identify high risk factors that can prevent them from achieving the changes they have set for themselves with regards to their substance use, and
- Develop a strategy to cope with high risk situations.
7 service users attended the first session, and since the start of the programme in March, 11 had attended one or more sessions.
6 service users had completed five or more sessions and were awarded certificates of completion that were presented by the service manager who also conducted a group review of the programme. Participants found the programme to be useful for a number of reasons:
- Service users talked about feeling supported in the group by the other participants.
- Participants felt able to identify and were able to experiment with different strategies to cope with the identified high risk situations.
- Service users felt hopeful of change as there were some in the group who have been able to achieve abstinence.
- Those who were abstinent found that the group work provided them with ideas on how to maintain their recovery.
- For a number of participants, the group work gave them something to look forward to for the day.
- Some participants started to think about the need for change after weighing the negative effects against the positive outcomes of substance use.
It was felt by all service users completing the programme that the duration should be lengthened. Two additional sessions will now be added to the programme. The first session will help individuals develop their recovery plan that will take into account their needs as identified over the course of the programme. The second and final session will include partner agency visits/guest speakers to promote the work that they undertake and suggest how people can receive support or become involved in their projects.
For More information on this programme please contact the Compass Harrow Service:
020 8861 2787